Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jam Macarons

Most successful attempt at macaron making yet, and I am over the moon!

I did say no more after the last billion attempts, but I just couldn’t stay away. The recipe from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook,  has lots of rave reviews online, so I thought it was worth a try.

The method was the French meringue I have been struggling along with, and first attempt looked pretty good when piped onto the trays. I left both trays to set for around half an hour. I’m not sure this had anything to do with the resulting lopsidedness but none of the macarons rose evenly, with a foot on one side and pretty much nothing on the other.  Some of them had burst as well, and strangely enough, it was the macarons on the very last tray that turned out the worst.

Somewhat crestfallen, I had a second go. I mixed the almonds/icing sugar with the meringue more vigorously this time, and this mixture turned out less viscous and harder to pipe. I managed to pipe it onto two trays again, and sprinkled chopped peanuts over the macarons on the 2nd tray, before leaving both to set for around 15 minutes. The first tray turned out a bit lopsided again, though there were more good ones this time, than the last lot. The second tray turned out almost completely perfect, with only 2-3 dodgy looking macarons.


The original recipe from the Ottolenghi cookbook is for salted peanut and caramel macarons. I didn’t have any caramel or dulce de leche, so I substituted jam instead, to create the PBJ macaron. Still yummy, not quite so French.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s